How to Best Prepare for Possible Flooding
If you ever experience flooding or water damage in your home after a big storm, SERVPRO can fix any damages you may have and be able to get your home looking good as new in no time. These are some ways you can prepare your home for the chance of flooding during a storm or heavy rain.
- Evacuating and Shelter: Determine both an evacuation and shelter plan in case flooding becomes too extreme and you need to leave your home to protect yourself and your family. Flooding and heavy storms can be a very frightening time, so it is crucial to be able to be prepared for you and your family’s safety needs. Even though it might be upsetting to leave your house with water damage, your safety is the number one priority and SERVPRO can take care of your home as soon as possible.
- Valuable Items: Store valuables on higher shelves or move valuables from basements to the top floor of your home if flooding is predicted to be extreme. Important things such as documents you need throughout your entire lifetime, childhood photos, electronic devices, and sentimental items should be taken care of and stored away to prevent loss and keep them as far away from water as possible.
- Drains and Gutters: Keep drains and gutters clean of any debris that may prevent water from draining correctly. Blockage in a drain can cause water to build up and not be able to drain correctly throughout a system, possibly resulting in flooding in your home if not taken care of
- Waterproofing: Consider purchasing waterproof containers to hold valuable documents such as social security cards, birth certificates, etc. Anything that is paper or flimsy material is at risk with water damage, so doing as much as you can to prevent these losses is essential before an expected flood
- Food and Water: Stock up on non-perishable food and water if conditions are too extreme to leave your home.
- Vehicles: Prepare vehicles outside of your home by closing all open windows and roofs, inspecting doors to make sure they are correctly sealed
- Sump Pump: Consider purchasing a sump pump for your basement to prevent as much flooding and water damage as possible