Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water damage can often result in unsafe conditions. Don't place yourself or others at risk. Until SERVPRO of Carbon County & Pocono Pines arrives, follow these tips:
- Once the source of the water has been stopped, turn off all electrical systems. Do not walk through the water. If you can’t reach your fuse box without stepping through water, contact an electrician.
- If a burst pipe or sewage leak is the issue, evacuate the premises and find a dry, safe spot. It may be as close as the backyard or as far as the home of a neighbor. Make sure that everyone is accounted for and unhurt.
- Contact the appropriate resource. Renters should call their landlord. Homeowners will want to contact their insurance provider.
- Document the extent of the damage when it is possible to do so safely. Use your cellphone to film or photograph all aspects of the issue.
SERVPRO of Carbon County & Pocono Pines will respond to your water damage as quickly as possible. Following these tips in the meantime will keep you out of harm's way.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (570) 732-9191
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.